Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Internet Explorer 9 Showing A Blank Page

I've encountered a problem with Internet Explorer 9 some days ago that really bothered me. Since I work with blogs I always open RSS pages on IE to save the files to my computer to get affiliate content to some of my blogs. All of a sudden all I could get from IE9 was a blank page, no matter what site I tried to visualize. The page looked like this:


Let's say it was quite frustrating... When I was about to give up on IE9 I decided to at least look that up on some search engines to see if anyone else had gone through the same situation and for my surprise (and relief) this problem seems to be quite common and easy to fix. It turns out that IE9's core feature is hardware rendering, so using IE9 without it is useless. So I decided to share the solution here for anyone else that is going through the same situation with IE9.

To fix this problem, disable hardware rendering:
1. Click on Tools, select Internet Options
2. Go to the Advanced tab, and tick "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

3. Press Apply and OK and restart IE9 and done. (in my case it turned back to normal immediately without any need to restart IE9 but maybe you might need to restart it to see results)

Ps.: This may prevent some programs (like Adobe installers) from working. These programs use the rendering engine of IE, but forces Hardware Rendering. To fix this, you'll have to downgrade to IE8.

No comments:

Post a Comment